How to Get your Business Mentioned in the Media
One of the best ways to build credibility and get the word out about your company is to find a way to get in the news. How can you make that happen? Here are three easy ways to get the media’s attention:
Set yourself up as an expert in your field and reach out when the news needs you. Every day various things come up in the news. If something is making headlines that you have some expertise on you could reach out to the news desk of various media outlets and offer opinions or advice. For example, let’s say getting fit is trending in the media. If you are a personal trainer or nutritionist you could reach out with your tips for getting fit and potentially land a TV spot or a paragraph in the paper.
Write a book or teach a class on what you know. Prior to the class or book publication send out a press release. Sometimes the media will pick up on this other times they won’t, but you won’t know until you try.
Host a charity event or some other newsworthy event. Events are one of the easiest ways to be seen by the media because of these two words- Event Calendars! Just about every local news outlet has an event calendar and nearly every event that is posted is approved to go on the public event calendar. In Tampa Bay you can include your events on the websites of Tampa Bay Times, Bay News 9 and TBO.com just to name a few. Send a press release about the events too because if the news outlet you send it to deems it newsworthy enough you can sometimes get a story or feature on your event too!
Here are some additional tips to keep in mind as well to help you land some media attention:
– Don’t expect the press to come to you. Reach out to the media when you have news to share.
– Social Media is your friend. Use it to its fullest potential and post your newsworthy content on all platforms.
– Donate goods, services, time and money whenever you can.
– Sponsor events that serve the same audience or interests as yours.
– Consider hiring a good public relations firm to represent your company and its image as well. Here at OnPoint Executive Center we can recommend two: Heidelberg PR and National Strategies Public Relations.
#onpoint #virtualoffice #govirtual